Everyone knows how unhealthy fried chicken is. It is packed with flavour and fat, but it is also filled with protein. Is it okay to eat fried chicken after a workout? For this article, we consulted experts to find the pros and cons of eating fried chicken after working out.
Is Fried Chicken After a Workout Healthy?
Yes, eating fried chicken after a workout is healthy. Though it does not have any vitamins or essential nutrients, the protein from the chicken actually enhances muscle recovery and improves metabolism. It should not be eaten regularly, though, because of the unhealthy amount of fat it contains. Consuming too much fried chicken will lead to weight gain.
Pros and Cons of Eating Fried Chicken After a Workout
Here are a few benefits of eating fried chicken after a workout:
- It usually comes as a full meal with sides such as chicken and rice.
- It offers all the main ingredients needed for muscle recovery, such as carbs and protein.
- The portions are heavy enough to keep the stomach full for a couple hours, which means you will be less likely to snack in between meals.
- It satiates cravings, so you’ll be less likely to overeat on a cheat day.
- The health benefits of occasionally eating fried chicken after a workout has been backed by multiple studies, nutritionists, and doctors.
Here are a few drawbacks of eating fried chicken after a workout:
- It cannot be eaten regularly post-workout.
- Eating a lot of it in one sitting can lead to poor digestion and heartburn.
- Heavy meals like fried chicken and rice can lower energy levels, to some extent defeating the purpose of working out altogether.
How Much Chicken Should You Eat After a Workout?
Generally, it is recommended that you have 0.8g of protein per kilogram of body weight. On average this amounts to 200g of chicken. After completing an intense session of reps at the gym, it is important to restore the lost fat with protein and carbs, even if that means occasionally eating fried chicken with rice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I eat immediately after a workout?
Yes, you can eat immediately after a workout. Exercising hacks into glycogen stores, so eating a meal or even a snack within two hours of completing your workout can help to restore your muscles’ food source. Make sure the meal has both proteins and carbohydrates, such as fruits.
What to eat after a workout?
After a workout, it is essential to eat something that has carbohydrates and protein. Doing so promotes muscle recovery, enhances strength, and reduces chances of bloating. Snacks such as yogurt, salads, and fruits are a great after-workout meal.
Eating chicken after a workout isn’t just healthy. It is actually recommended by nutritionists when incorporated into a healthy diet. If you eat a reasonable portion of fried chicken, you’ll get to enjoy it while maintaining your healthy physique.